Friday 25 April 2008

weddings 2

Im trying to establish the foundations for a future business that I can then use to support myself. I've got a wedding in June, and I will learn a lot from it. Until then however, I need to work out the best ways to do this. I haven't yet had a chance to discuss this yet with the bride (who asked for me through a friend), but today I sent her an email.

Firstly, I tried to establish a negotiable fee plan. I give her a list of expenses, she gives me the money, then after the couple have the results, they can decide if they'd like to reimburse me for my work (because it's my first job and they're doing me a favour too). Otherwise, we'll agree to a fixed rate of around $500 and I'll receive the funds in advance.

Next, I outlined what will happen after the ceremony.
-I will do some post production work on the images, make up a proof booklet, and let her choose which ones she would like for enlargements etc from there. I looked aroundthe net for templates in photoshop, looked on lab websites for help, then finally realised I can do it myself in Photoshop. Go File > Automate > Contact Sheet II. Much better. Then just print however many 8x10's and have them wire bound. I'll also make up an options tick-box type sheet for the couple to fill out and let me know what they want.
- Then I will make up a book template in iPhoto and send off for it. I'll have to know how many copies, at which size and style etc, and probably should show them the data version for approval first. Since it will mostly be shot in photojournalism style, it will most likely be presented in rough chronlogical order.
- And finally I will get back into the post-production on the images selected for enlargemnts etc.

Establishing this kind of workflow is difficult, but once you start narrowing the options down it becomes easier. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: