Saturday 26 April 2008

flash kit, hassleblad + home studio



Since the studio was ready, I borrowed one of the new Broncolor kits with a Hassleblad with a 50mm lens. Very exciting.

I packed it all nice and safely into my car (with seatbelts!), and when I got home carefully examined the contents. 3 heads, a softbox, two barn doors, an umbrella and a sync cord.

I extended the stands, with the centre column remaining close to the ground, feet out at about 45 degrees. I wasn't sure but that felt most logical to me, and I remembered at Deakin in Film we had sandbags on the poles between the legs and centre column, so I assumed I was doing the right thing. I arranged them in my preferred positions around the room.Then I got the heads out, loosened the head attachment and adjoing screw which holds it in place, and gave all the heads a new home. Then I begun investigating the attachments.

It took me a while to work out how to attach the barn doors. Finally I realised it squeezed into the inner circumference of the bulb shade. Easy.

The umbrella was pretty straightforward, just slide the pole into the side of the head, and attach the smaller bulb head.

The softbox was the trickiest. The bulb head was a heavy metallic disk, with holes for poles in the side. Extra holes were for different shaped softbox's. I worked out how to insert the poles and the cover... but the white softbox front cover seemed too small, impossible to velcro on. I finally realised that you had to pull the side covers back, poke the poles into the corners of the front cover (much stronger material than it seems), and once you've got that all in place, pull the side cover back up and velcro together.

So, I was ready to go. But no-one to shoot. I really wanted to try portraits, although I should have been working on my project. But I really just wanted to familiarise myself with the lights, not get too adventurous this time. But not only had I just spent my last $40 on 120 film (Kodak Velvia VC 160 - 6 rolls from the eager salesman at Ted's), I realised the kit didn't contain a hotshoe adapter for the sync cord. I knew I could trigger the flashes with the on camera flash on my 400D, but I hated having to use my flash (I hadn't yet realised I could turn it down), and I really wanted to have a go at the Hassleblad.

The next day I took some outdoor shots with the Hassleblad, it was such a different experience than using an SLR. It had a prism veiwfinder, and it was big! The wide angle tripped me out, I couldn't stop looking through it! I found it a bit difficult to focus though. I've always suspected my right eye isn't as good as the other so I think I should check that out.

A very helpful person informed me that there was a connection point in the Hassleblad lens. Of course! It was so obvious. I had even just re-read the medium format chapter in Ansel Adams' The Camera, and it specifically discusses Hassleblad's and how they're organised in components. The prism hotshoe doesn't even have connection points, its only purpose is to hold an on-camera flash. Everything else is dependant upon the lens.

Well I still had no subjects until a reluctant friend dropped in to lend me her MacBook, and I convinced her to be my guinea pig. From what I shot on the 400D, I needed to adjust the brigtness and/or distance of the lights from the subject and back wall.

When she left another friend told me he was setting up a myspace music page for a friend he's written with. He wanted to know if I could shoot some stuff for the profile. Perfect, come over now! I only had about half an hour with them, but it was great fun. I was a bit more accustomed to the set-up, my subject was playing some really nice acoustic stuff, and an amazing and soft Smashing Pumpkins cover, and I mostly just had to wait for those magic moments (and change lenses, batteries, film...). It was really fun. I think we all felt pretty special doing our things.




1 comment:

lesley turnbull said...

hey Jean thanks for your comment on my blog. its always an honor to hear others talk about their experiences in realtion to my work, and as well how my work can provoke an emotional response.
your post about lighting kit was like a message sent directly to me since after my last review i have decided to really step up on technical stuff, ie, lighting! and although i am at uni it never crossed my mind to aces their equipment. forgot. so used to self-reliance. Thanks for that. I would like to talk to you more about this....my umber is: 0439 638 221 . I know your busy etc, but if you can please call. lesley. p.s I am also interested in your investigation of the screen....